Monday, October 1, 2007

Brave New World Wide Web

So many things to think about so little time. Since I've been rambling all morning I may as well continue with the trend. Couple more things I wanted to bring up. And again, these are ideas which need to be unpacked and scrutinized, I'm simply supplying little kernels, a very cursory brainstorming session here...

Web 2.0 being shall we say dependent on dynamic interaction leads me to believe that there's still room for web 1.0 and that stasis a la "old web" is just one of the many modalities that the internet will differentiate into (see previous post on internet as organism). What struck me as interesting as well was the issue of frequency of interaction between human user and machine interface-web surface if you will and of course how dynamically that surface changes (old web, surface changes very little, new web surface is constantly changing/updating). I bring this up for a variety of reasons many of which I'm certain I'm not even aware of. What is clear to me however is that there is an ever decreasing time interval between my physical self and the collection of virtual selves or representation of selves (i.e. myspace accounts, blogs, emails, etc) that exist on the web. That is to say, I think of an "idea" as I have in the shower about 10 minutes ago, and then it takes X amount of time to update my "virtual selves and appendages" so that they may reflect the thoughts of my physical self... Simply put, our virtual reflection on the surface of the web, is becoming increasingly tied into our physical self. I think it a safe assumption to say that personal pages (virtual appendages of our physical selves, i.e. virtual identities...) of the old web updated less frequently than they do now. My question is, as I write this so that my virtual self can be in compliance with my physical self, is "How much are we going to become a slave to our virtual reflection, fettered by a constant desire to update and change information so that it remains "factual" simply for the sake of being correct?!" And I say this not to be reactionary, or dramatic but simply to say that it is an issue perhaps worthy of discussion from a philosophic, social and technological standpoint. Philosophically speaking it raises issues (again this is by no means a dissertation which of course brings up other issues of how blogs and forums create their own type of content-that is, "quick" content) on the self, or shall we say the multiple selves or even the delineation of a self apart from other delineated "selves". Which of course brings me to my next topic of how this self (collection of selves) then melts, merges, weaves, what have you into a collective-and not any sort of metaphysical, new age, hippie "collective"-identity! A truly dynamic, interacting, "mappable" collective self! I'm conceptually developing a kind of amazon meets ipod meets wiki model of identity for the jerusalem project, stay tuned... and on another note I think my thesis for the project will have something to do with expanding or at least re-contextualizing identity(ies) within these contested spaces... And of course this is where the technology comes in... While at the wired next fest, I happened upon Yahoo's booth, on display was their new app, FireEagle. Still in development testing, not ready for prime-time use...

http://fireeagle.research.yahoo.com/
http://info.yahoo.com/privacy/us/yahoo/fireeagle/

Effectively the app will take your position latitude, longitude and share this information with other web based apps, i.e. flickr, myspace, etc. So that your friends, enemies and potential enemies and friends can know your "exact" location at all times... Which bring me back to this idea of frequency of communication between physical self and projected virtual selves... Soon, there will be a virtual representation of your physical self if only locative (but surely not so) for anyone to peruse... Interesting? I think so.

With total transparency comes total responsibility. With total transparency comes invisibility. I'm not sure how to end this...

So, now all I need is an app, perhaps it's out there perhaps we need to write it, that will publish all this information to the many virtual selves that I have out there, without me having to go and post this on my personal blog, my myspace blog, the mediascapes blog, and this email chain... Sooooooon.

No comments: