Monday, October 1, 2007

Xrumer

I've been finding some pretty interesting stuff as a result of my studio research so I thought I'd share a bit more...
This is a 5 minute? video of the program Xrumer, which effectively acts as a spam bot in some ways but is "legal"... Again my knowledge of the field is a bit limited but from what I gather it works by posting whatever message you might want to post on thousands of forums (these forums apparently get updated into the program's database at regular intervals). What this effectively does however is create thousands of "new" links across the surface (interior) of the web. By posting the same message on thousands of forums you are effectively linking a thousand addressses to one particular url. Now imagine 10,000 people doing this and you can see how this may be a bit of clusterfuck. It's obvious that the internet is expanding exponentially daily but I'm curious to know how much of it is """"actual""" usable data-sure I may need to define this but for the sake of the argument I think you get my point. That is to say as the pool of information grows (and I think this is a safe assumption) and becomes transparent (accessible to anyone and everyone) I would argue that it in fact becomes more and more "invisible" as a result of these "faulty linkages" (as the video shows). So as the internet universe keeps expanding (and no doubt it will, I wonder if there will come a cooling-off point akin to our own cosmological universe) I think organization and navigation become extremely sensitive issues. How do you locate what you're looking for? (search engines, yes fine but for how much longer? And surely there are ways to redirect and confuse them) How do you know, when everything becomes a 1 and a 0 what it is that you may be looking for? That is to say, in a world where information is linked and multiplied (redundant if you will), what becomes relevant? How do you know when to stop "researching"? I can easily see someone looking up information on X and not being able to get out of the system for an hour or two, we all know how easy it is to link between pages... I'm not sure where this is all going, there certainly is no central thesis per se other than the glaring fact that information multiplies exponentially and of course it doesn't do it itself as it requires our participation.
BUT. And this may be a big but, what happens when the internet becomes self-automated, self-adjusting, self-sustaining by way of machine to machine communication. Again I'm not sure what this all means but in light of Greg's email regarding the cell animation it becomes pellucid in my mind to imagine the internet as a living, breathing organism, a cancer, a body, choose your metaphor... As the system (internet) grows it differentiates (bottom-up I would gather) into various hierarchical structures all dependent in some way upon one another for sustenance and health-this of course becomes our "job" if you will. It seems to large of an effort to control from a top-down perspective. Perhaps this is of interest?

NOT MY TEXT:

This movie is a demo of the Internet traffic generator. It will be a shocking revelation to those of you who don't realize that human-to-human competition of the past is changing to human-machine-machine-human competition! XRumer, shown in this movie, is a software application that automatically posts your messages to forums, guestbooks, bulletin boards and catalogs of the links (as well as into livejournals and wiki). In a word it is an autosubmitter.
http://www.botmaster.net/movies/XFull.swf


This is where I found the link...
http://www.softwaresecretweapons.com/jspwiki/greatsoftwareengineeringspeechesandpresentations

No comments: